COTHletes, it is time for another challenge! Y’all ready-ready?
During the month of July, as a box, our task is to drink 1,000 gallons of water.
Note: This does not mean that you are expected to drink a gallon of water/day, though some of you may. A healthy target is to drink anywhere between ½ and ⅔ of your body weight in ounce of water each day. For example, a 200lb athlete should drink in between 100-132 ounces each day. This is especially crucial during these hot and humid months. If you’ve been at the box this week, you know how sweaty these WODs are making us. It is so so so important that we stay hydrated!
Big picture, though, why, as an athlete should you be concerned about drinking water? Folks down at Crossfit Rosslyn in DC summed it up well:
- Water makes your skin healthier. Having enough moisture in your skin will help it remain healthy through the runs that want to rip up your feet and the pull-ups that assault your hands.
- Water helps your immune system. Water is one of the key components in lymph, one of the under-appreciated fluids in the body that carries white blood cells and all those toxins that want to make you sick. Being sick in the Summer is the worst, so that should be argument enough right there.
- Water is necessary for healthy muscles. Water helps prevent the breakdown of muscle proteins, it increases the amount of nutrients absorbed from food, and helps prevent the dehydration that can limit performance.
- Dehydration is the worst! Dehydration can lead to increased heart rate, headaches, sore muscles, confusion, and dry mouth. This does not a happy athlete make.
Still not sold? Well, it wouldn’t be a challenge if there wasn’t some sort of reward at the end, right? Here’s how you get a prize:
- For every gallon of water you drink throughout the month of July, initial and color a box on our challenge poster. (Note: it took forever ever to make 1,000 boxes on this poster, so we want to see them all filled in!)
- At the end of the month, we will tally up our “Top 3 (H20) Drinkers” and a prize will be given to each.
- Also, at the end of the month, we will raffle off a separate (and super awesome) prize. Your chances of winning increase the more water your drink, as your name will be entered once per gallon consumed.
The 5K Rowing Challenge and the Partner Challenge were both a huge success. Let’s go 3 for 3, COTHletes!